Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Sometimes it is a good thing to tattle tale

I normally try to stay out of stranger's lives because I want them to stay out of my life. I believe people should be allowed to do what they want as long as it doesn't endanger someone else. the not harming others is sometimes flexible like driving over the speed limit, or drinking too much and vomiting on someone's shoes. But it is not flexible when it comes to children.

Monday night I was on my way home, and was behind this car at a spot light. The light was about to turn green when in their back seat I saw 2 small children pop up in the back seat and start hoping on the back seat. They were no more than 3 years old and completely unrestrained. In fact, one of the girls jokingly used the seat belt to choke the other girl. My first thought was, "crap, now I'm going to have wait for this parent to get these kids back into their car seats" But no, they just drove on. And it's not like we were stuck in crawling traffic, we were moving at 35mph.

So I called the police yesterday and gave them the story and the person license plate number. The police said they would send a letter, and if they receive any more complaints, they can take action against them.

It just fascinates me that in this country you have to be approved before adopting a dog, yet any old idiot can have a child.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yo,

Gotta say you made the right decision. Ok, so I work for CPS and all, which would be a better place to call because they will do more than just mail a letter, but still it wouldn't take much to seriously hurt those kids. You may have really prevented a tragedy.

peace

kg said...

I wish I had saved the license plate number, cause I would love to report it to CPS. I will remember that for next time though (hopefully though I never have to see that kind of thing again...but probably will.)