Saturday, April 19, 2008

Blood, sweat and an open house

We had the first day of our open house today, and without an ad, we had 4 people stop by. Not a whole lot, which was a little disappointing, but our agent said the ones who did stop by were serious lookers and not the causal passer-by. One guy was an investor who has several properties that he rents. He just sold one and has to buy another one within 180 days or else he has to pay capitol gains taxes on the income, and this would be perfect for him. He was here for 45 minutes.

So I had be out of the house all day, and instead of going out and playing some golf like I had wanted, I worked with my dad like I should have. My dad has helped my brother and I get everything ready on the house for the past 4 weeks, and he asked if I could help out today and tomorrow with a kitchen he was starting, and of course I couldn't say no.

The past couple of kitchens I've helped my dad with have been fun. There was a time when I just stopped enjoying doing that kind of work, so I stopped working with my dad, plus I was also working hard on my career and trying to have some sort of social life. But hen a few months back when we had not roommate, I had a need for some money so I started working with him again. When I get to work with him without my brother being there, it is actually enjoyable. When my brother is there, he treats me like his personal servant who is there to tend to his every need. There was one time when I was up on a ladder installing a light, he was working on some plumbing and he had the audacity to ask me to hand him a pair of pliers that were right next to him.

He can't accept the fact that I know what I am doing and thinks I am still the little 12 year old who rather play soccer than cut tile on a Saturday.

I did both growing up, it's not like my parent made me choose between my childhood and working in the family business, I got to do both, and I am glad I did.

Anyway, the blood part of the day came when I was installing some recessed lights, and I nicked the top on my finger with the knife somehow, and the damn thing wouldn't stop bleeding. When I get cleaned off (no I haven't taken a shower yet, and boy do I smell awesome!) I'm sure it will be this tiny little nothing, but it was dripping blood for like 15 minutes, I guess it was because I was using my hands a lot.

One more open house tomorrow, and more work with my father (with my brother this time) Hopefully it will be a day filled with more people and less blood

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed, I never helped my dad out with this business and now I wish I knew more practical skills like wiring and... other things... like that.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I saw your comment about the stove and 1. Thanks for getting me thinking about craigslist for appliances (totally off my radar) and 2. While the photo of your stove looks nice, I don't think I like that grill feature thingy.

But to echo the commenter above I am jealous. My Dad is ridiculously handy, not by trade or anything but he's "that guy" who can fix or tell you how to fix most anything. And I didn't pick up a damn thing. Changing lightbulbs is about where I max out.