Sunday, December 23, 2007

Happy Festivus yall

Today is the unofficial celebration of Festivus. And I will do my best to follow the tradition the great Frank Costanza passed down.



Festivus begins with the airing of grievances, and while I may have grievances with some people, I do not think it is fair to air them in a public forum where I can't assume everyone is at least half drunk. So instead, I will air my grievances against the karmic world.

First and foremost, why the hell did that guy have to crash into my car in that rest stop in NY. What the hell was that all about? Then to top it off, the ass-hole doesn't have insurance, so now I'm out $2000 of my own money, which I have to sue him in NJ small claims court to recoup, assuming he doesn't leave the country or go bankrupt first. Then to top it off, I pick up the car and the transmission dies, and now I have to shell out another $4000 to get it fixed. Fuck you Karma!

My second grievance concerns the shit load of money I spent on this dating service "It's Just Lunch" They set you up on blind dates based on personality surveys, and it is low pressure because well, it's just lunch (or after dinner drinks for those who prefer to have a little alcohol before a blind date) So I've been on 8 of the "dates" now and and only one has turned into a second date, and she was moving to Iraq for 6 months 2 weeks after our date. And no they have been calling me to say "we found a match" and they get my availability, and never call me back with the date. You suck It's Just Lunch, I want my money back.

My last grievance for this Festivus is about society as a whole. We seem to be moving further and further away from the true meaning things. Take Christmas for example. We spend more time thinking about the perfect gift for someone, and forget why we are giving them a gift in the first place. We give gifts to the people we love, and who love us back. We give gifts because we want to thank those people for bringing joy into our lives. I heard a radio commercial for a jewelry store where the guy at the end says something like "I could say I love her, but actions speak louder than words" Yes, actions speak louder than words, but the act of buying a diamond necklace, then not showing you love her the rest of the year, says "I'm willing to spend $1000 on you in December and hope that shows I love you until next December when I'll spend $1100" Acts of love are not about how much you spend on a person, they are about giving of yourself.

Happy Festivus, Chanukah, Christmas, x-mas, Kwanza, and most importantly Happy Love to you all!

No comments: