Sunday, March 9, 2008

The true defination of wasting time

So I was asked by our CEO to give a presentation to our board of directors about the membership magazine, which I am the production manager for. He said I have 5 minutes to report on the readership survey we just finished. I thought this would be a good thing, and get myself in front of the big wigs in the association.

So I spent the better part of 20 hours over the last month or so working in this 5 minute, 8 slide presentation. A good portion was spent analyzing data from the readership survey, but then I spent probably 6 hours over several days writing what I was going to say, and having my boss give me revisions that mostly consisted of, "Oh, they don't care about that info" and, "Cut this section down by...well go ahead and cut it completely." I'm all good with that, if they don't want to hear something, then there is no point saying it.

So I'm sitting here at the board meeting, well, actually I'm sitting outside the board meeting because right now they are talking about "important and confidential" stuff. Another coworker who is giving a presentation early in the meeting was just told he is up next, but what they are talking abut now could take an hour. I looked at the schedule, and I should be going up about an hour after him, so that means I am about 2 hours away form giving a 5 minute presentation to a group of people who mostly don't care (and will likely be exhausted by the time I get to speak) and I spent 20 hours preparing.

I'm starting to wonder if the time I spend at my job has any value at all...

At least we have good health benefits

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have an office job too. P and I were talking today, and I said I don't think college is necessarily for anyone, that in the old days people became apprenticed and learned trades like shoemaking, carpentry, etc. And that I wondered what anthropologists would think about our culture if some natural disaster occurred and they dug us up. Everything would say "Made in China" and they would think that we didn't do anything or make anything ourselves!

I want to go get a ton of land out in Appalachia and then invite my friends to come live on it with me so I'm not surrounded by hicks who want to lynch an Asian girl. Whaddya, say, wanna join?